Friday, July 23, 2010

Is gear oil the same as tranny ?

I went to buy gear oil for my crx and the person at the store gave me Honda genuine transmission fluid and sed it was the same thing is dat true???Is gear oil the same as tranny ?
Many standard transmissions in newer cars use regular automatic tranny fluid. Is gear oil the same as tranny ?
that depends on the year and if you are talking about a stick or automatic. i will assume the stick. bu the year on a honda brings me to my next point., up till 1995 honda used either 1030 or 1040 in the transmission. after 1995 they went to a synthetic oil of the same weight. gear oil would load the engine up and drop the fuel economy and possible damage the transmission while making it difficult to shift.
Honda's require their own special transmission/final drive fluids. You did good - assuming you went to a Honda garage.
yep gears and tranmission same... you got what you need

No comments:

Post a Comment