Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Should I switch to synthetic engine oil and gear oil? 98 Eclipse?

I have a 98 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 67k miles, I drive it easy on the streets, but then I am hard on the engine when I make passes at the drag strip. I am wondering if I should switch to synthetic engine oil and synthetic manual transmission gear oil, or just stay with conventional regular oils. Also, should I use 5w30, or 10w30? What brands? Should I flush the engine and transmission before changing? How do you flush them? Thanks..Should I switch to synthetic engine oil and gear oil? 98 Eclipse?
I always run synthetic oils (transmission, rearend and engine). If you're not burning oil then stay with the same weigh that you currently are using. If you're burning a little go up to a 40w synthetic. The best deal for synthetic oils is at Walmart and buy the gallon containers. I've had good luck with Shell Rotella T and Mobil 1.





You don't need to flush your system because synthetics will mix with regular oils.





Porsche did a study on synthetic oils quite a while ago and noticed horsepower improvements when used.





Here's a good site to check out: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com





This site will also prove to you that some oil additives are really bad for your car.Should I switch to synthetic engine oil and gear oil? 98 Eclipse?
A lot more money up front but fewer oil changes: less environmental pollution





better gas mileage: $ savings, fewer natural rescources





and more power :)





Thinner oil makes more power and saves gas. 5w-30 unless very hot where you are.
Some good stuff said about synthetics so far. I use and recommend Amsoil. If you go to my website http://www.number1synthetic.com


and click 'Amsoil Online Product Guide' you can type in your year, make, model, and engine to get a list of lubricants and filters for your car, even click on the tech sheets for each oil.


For example, for the 98 ECLIPSE there are these 3 engine choices listed


- 2.0L 4-cyl Engine code F DOHC Turbo


- 2.4L 4-cyl Engine code G


- 2.0L 4-cyl Engine code Y DOHC


after choosing one you get a detailed list. As expected the non-turbo engines call for Amsoil ASL 5W-30 and the turbo calls for Amsoil ATM 10W-30. Its interesting to note that the top recommendation for all three is the Amsoil SSO 0W-30, even for the turbo. Since it is shear stable and reduces friction so well, it actually has lower wear results in the 4-ball wear test (ASTM D-4172) than competing 5W and 10W-30 oils: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/鈥?/a>





Good luck!
Go with Royal purple in the trans. For the engine, each one has it's merits. but I'd give a slight edge to the synthetic. 10w-30. If you really want to do something to help your car, go with a complete Z-Max treatment.
  • discount makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment