Wednesday, July 28, 2010

If my Yamaha V-star 1100 manual calls for SAE80 GL-4 for the final drive gear oil, can I use 75w-90 GL-5?

I can't seem to find any straight 80w GL-4. And I figure I'll have better year round cold weather and hot weather coverage with the 75w-90. It's been down as low as 28 degrees in the winter and as high as the 100s. Plus both our Yamahas do a lot of commuting. 200 miles a week with one and as much as 500 miles a week with the other and all at freeway speeds.If my Yamaha V-star 1100 manual calls for SAE80 GL-4 for the final drive gear oil, can I use 75w-90 GL-5?
It's better to go up (GL-4 GL-5) than to go down.


GL-5 is rated for hypoid systems.


Hypoid gears make a 90 degree turn of the power flow.


That's what your bike requires - hypoid gear oil, so it will be fine.If my Yamaha V-star 1100 manual calls for SAE80 GL-4 for the final drive gear oil, can I use 75w-90 GL-5?
I use 75w90 full synthetic Valvoline gear lube in my 2001 Honda Goldwing's final drive. Being synthetic I figure I have about the best protection there is. I am aware of Goldwing riders that change the final drive during each engine oil and filter change. On my bike, it takes about five minutes to change the final drive oil.


Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment