Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Should i put gear oil in my diff now?

My car is a project I'm finishing and didn't have gear oil in it for a while, ive been rolling it back and forth a couple times in my garage and seems fine, but not im bringing it to my shop and have to put it on a truck to tow and roll it into the shop for about 200-300 or so feet. The diff would be ok right? I'm sure it will, i just don't want the gears to grind on each other much and destroy my rear cause it so hard to change out in my car. Id rather wait so i can use the pump at the shop. Thanks.Should i put gear oil in my diff now?
Was it just renewed itself ? If so , what kind of install grease did they or you use ? If no grease , I would add some . Not good to have dry gear to gear . Also what about bearings . Not good if dry .Should i put gear oil in my diff now?
a few hundred feet should not matter. we are not talking about any appreciable torque, just freewheeling
It is a bad idea to move the car any distance without gear oil in it. You can severely damage the gears.
Why take the chance? Buy a bottle and squeeze in as much as possible.
shouldnt hurt it any to roll it with out grease

No comments:

Post a Comment